Kanban System Design
December 5 - 6, 2017
"I want to know how to get started with Kanban or how to greatly improve the Kanban system I have now."
This 2-day Foundations-level Kanban training class, certified by Lean Kanban University, is for managers, developers, and anyone wanting to learn the fundamentals of the Kanban Method. The class includes the use of a Kanban simulation as well as exercises to design an actual Kanban system.
Course content and objectives
Participants will learn how to design a Kanban system and initiate change with Kanban. They will learn the basic
concepts of flow, pull, and collaborative improvement. At the end of the training, participants will understand:
- How to identify and address bottlenecks
- How to work with shifting priorities
- How to deal with interrupt work and multi-tasking
- How to deal with important but not time-critical work
- How to avoid having work pile up in one place (or time) while there is a lack of work in another place
- How to create flow in the work, the information to perform the work, and the teams that do the work
The content of this course covers the following topics, presented in the form of interactive exercises organized in small groups, plus games, classroom teaching and discussion.
- Controlling Work in Progress (from push to pull)
- Visualizing work (designing the card wall)
- Measuring and managing flow (control charts, flow diagrams)
- Making policies explicit (classes of service)
- Managing change and collaborative improvement
- A digital copy of the book Kanban by David J. Anderson
- Certificate of Completion of Lean Kanban University Certified Kanban Training, digital format
- Membership in Lean Kanban University and a listing in the LKU Alumni Directory.
The class will take place at the Lean Kanban University | David J Anderson School of Management, 200 1st Avenue West,Suite 404, Seattle, WA 98119.
Please note that there is a class limit of 24 students. Also note that in order to make the course economically viable we need a minimum of 5 students. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like more information about the course content or about registration.
Attendees are expected to have read the Kanban book by David J Anderson or Kanban from the Inside by Mike Burrows. The Kanban ebook will be provided upon registration. Prior attendance at a Team Kanban Practitioner 1-day course is recommended but not required.
This course satisfies one requirement toward the Kanban Management Professional (KMP) designation. The KMP Foundations II: Kanban Management Professional class will complete the KMP status requirement.
The Alternative Path to Agility
The Kanban System Design course is part of the series of Alternative Path to Agillity classes. The full series, intended to be taken in order, includes:
1-day Team Kanban Practitioner (TKP)
2-day Kanban System Design -or- Kanban for IT / Operations (Foundations I)
2-day Kanban Management Professional (Foundations II)
5-day training sessions that include all 3 classes in the Alternative Path to Agility are often available for a package rate. Inquire at email@example.com for details.
Cancellation Policy – Please Note
Substitutions are accepted at any time. Cancellations must be notified by email and refunds will be provided according to the following:
More than 10 days prior = 80% of course fee
5 to 10 days prior = 50% of course fee
Less than 5 days = no refund provided